University of Virginia
This course will provide a wide-ranging and practical exploration of electronic texts and related technologies such as ebook formats. It is aimed primarily (although not exclusively) at librarians, publishers, and scholars keen to develop, use, publish, and control electronic texts for library, research, or teaching purposes. Drawing on the experience and resources available at UNB's Electronic Text Centre, the course will cover the following areas:
- how to create archival-quality etexts, including digital image facsimiles;
- Standard Generalized Markup Language (SGML) for etext development and use;
- eXtensible Markup Language (XML) for etext development and use;
- the management and use of Web-based SGML/XML text databases.
- ebook and other non-web browser output options from XML.
Background Reading List
Summary of Resources