Guidelines for SGML Text Mark-up at the Electronic Text Center
David Seaman, Electronic Text Center, University of Virginia
Appendix IV: Recordable CD-ROMs
Some simple precautions:
- Avoid dust and fingerprints before recording
- Avoid sudden changes in temperature
- Neither write nor use adhesive labels on the CD itself -- instead, use the ID number etched
on the collar around the central hole
[for the Verbatim disks that we use, this is a 12-digit number].
Write this on the jewel case label.
UVA only: Cataloging the CD-Rs we create:
- Write the CD. Click here for guidelines.
- Label jewel case with the 12-digit CD id number.
- Create a file listing from the CD: to write out the
contents of a CD to a file, go to DOS and issue the following command:
dir d: /s >c:\data\filename.txt
where filename is the last eight digits of the
ID number of the CD.
- Open CD
Cataloging web form, naming it after the last eight digits of the
CD id number. Fill in the blank fields.
- Filter the header. The SGML version will appear in etext/Done/cd/cd-out.
- Combine the header and the list of files into a single file.
For more information, see the following:
The Commission on Preservation and Access:
"Permanence, Care and Handling of CDROMs" (Kodak):
National Media Laboratory: Media Stability
Studies (magnetic tape, optical disk, paper, microfilm)
Information. Report of the Task Force on Archiving of Digital
| Back |